Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Valentine's Day

WARNING! lengthy story ahead

Because of past experience Gilbert and I decided to celebrate Valentine's Day with a nice date earlier in the week. So, our Saturday started like many others.

Gilbert woke up early and headed into the shop. I stayed in bed lazily until it was time to get the kids moving. Gilbert came home to get ready for a Basketball game. Logan had been running a fever since the day before. Gilbert still had more work to do at the shop after his game, and I was scheduled to work at Gracie Lou's in the afternoon. After unsuccesfully trying to find someone to cover my shift I told Gilbert that he HAD to be home by 1:30 so I could get to work on time.
To no surprise the phone rang at 1pm and Gilbert told me he had called a babysitter because he wasn't going to be home in time. I was miffed to say the least. I was hoping that we wouldn't have to PAY a babysitter and that Gilbert could just come home on time for once. Oh well.

I headed into work for a steady but not-too-busy day. Later in the day I got a text from my BFF, Jeanne. She said she was in the area shopping and wanted to stop by for a visit. After a while I got to thinking that she was probably a little lonely on V-day because her hubby works out of state. Since I was already unhappy with Gilbert I decided that BFF and I were going to grab a bite to eat after work. After some thought I decided to call Gilbert and make sure it was okay with him first, just so I didn't upset him.

When I called the house (almost 4 hours after I'd left) the babysitter answered. My first thought was that Gilbert still hadn't come home from work. So I asked her if she'd been there all day. She said "No. I just came back." (Hmmmm. Somethings up) Next I called Gilbert. He told me he was going to the store. (without the kids?) "Why?" I asked "I just went to the store yesterday" he told me he was getting some stuff for dinner. (Okaaaay) So I asked him if he talked to my BFF and he said no. (Something still seems a little odd.) I told Gilbert Jeanne wanted to go hang out. He didn't sound too happy, but I didn't really care (I was still a little bummed from earlier).

Next I called my BFF. "What's going on!?" I asked her. "Nothing. What are you talking about? I'm on my way. I'll be there in a minute." (DANG!) Secretly I was hoping that Gilbert had planned somethings, but it was turning out that I had a wild imagination.

I waited for a car to pull into the parking lot. Red truck= BFF. Blue truck= Gilbert. Pretty soon a red truck pulled into the parking lot. (DANG!) As Jeanne walked in I was telling my co-workers about my suspicion and also about my let down. When I told Jeanne about my thoughts she just laughed at me. I suggested that we go get some dinner and she agreed. I went to the back to get my stuff and when I came back GILBERT WAS STANDING THERE WITH ROSES FOR ME!

He sneakily planned the whole thing. He asked Jeanne to drive him to Gracie Lou's to surprise me. It was so cute. Obviously I apologized for being upset earlier and thanked Jeanne for helping him. Then we all laughed because I always figure things out. they did a good job though.

We had a quick dinner at Arby's and watched "Confessions of a Shopaholic". It was a really cute Valentine's day surprise.

Sorry, I had to share it. It was just too cute not to.

2 comments:

Melanie said...

I'm just like you! Always trying to figure things out! I LOVE surprises, but because I "think too much" I end up figuring them out! Good for Gilbert for being sneaky!

Megan said...

Wow, did he think up that surprise all on his own? That's so sweet!
Glad you guys had a fun day...sounds very sweet!
I don't know why but I usually catch on to things like that too!